Saturday, December 26, 2009

Feeding

This joy unraveled itself to me as a pleasant surprise. It was the most pleasant surprise of my life.  

 

I don’t remember the exact year, it must be some time between 2001-2003, a cyclonic weather formed in my hometown, Burdwan. In West Bengal such weathers are not too unusual because the low pressure weather is not much different than it. The same symptoms, days without a single sight of sun and a steady drizzle, with or without wind.

 

During this weather disturbance I first encountered a hungry squirrel, I was drinking tea in our verandah, when that little thing scurried toward me, it was desperate with hunger because it started to eat crumbs hardly a feet away from me, so I did what every human being will do I guess, I slowly placed down a piece of biscuit as far away from myself as I could and it instantly grabbed it and ran away a little distance to eat it. Soon another follwed it and by the end of an hour I was happily feeding atleast a dozen of them and some bulbuls or nightingales. Thus started a  strange routine.

 

I bought a few packets of puffed rice and started to feed the squirrels, the weather cleared after a week but they did not ran away. I fed them till the last day I spent in Burdwan, that is seventh August 2005. We left early in the morning but I scattered the last meal for them in the garden before leaving.

 

They taught me how pleasing it is to feed a hungry soul. Very rare joys can compete with this specific joy I believe. The trust in their eyes, their childish pranks for food, the memory of those days will be treasured in my heart forever.

2 comments:

  1. May God reward you.
    didi, these little deeds are not little indeed.
    Thanks for reminding the importance of feeding our fellow living beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest brother,
    i was rewarded then and there. they were the source of deep peace and faith on love all those years.
    during that period of time i was fighting the greatest war of my life - parting my way permanently from my family (excl the sibling with whom i am residing now) and they were kind of messenger of God to me. their faith in me was a real surprise and joy to me.

    so i have already been rewarded in million-folds more than i did for them.

    with lots of affection,
    didi

    ReplyDelete