Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Death traps

Ever since my childhood I have heard from my parents to not let any of my body parts jutt out of a moving vehicle, whatever it is. I think its time that in kolkata atleast passengers should be a little serious about their well being, where vehicles are busy in speeding in narrow lanes.... without least respect for lives.

Yesterday an horrid thing happened in which three persons lost their right arms which were jutted out of the bus they were travelling in. Another bus in frenzy to overtake it brushed against it, causing this horrifying thing.

We, the dwellers of kolkata are well aware of these accidents.. the reckless driving, horrible state of roads.. then why do we let these reckless creatures play games with our lives?

I have seen people going down right at the middle of the street... just because the conductor told so. Or descending from a moving vehicle.. just because the conductor told so again..

I have had an unpleasant experience of similar kind, but in that case I think the driver and conductor were both lunatis. I always preferred saree, when i used to go to office. That day too, i was wearing a saree, I asked a behala-howrah station bus to stop, it stopped. As I reached the bus and started to climb I saw a woman was descending, the conductor asked me to step down so she could descend.. that IDIOT was looking out of the door, my back was toward the door and I instinctively took a step backward to descend..unfortunately without looking, and when my feet touched the ground I noted the bus was moving in quite a speed.. well my karate lessons and highly flexible body saved me from losing a limb, i managed with my saree, my office bag and all to stay on my feet, i noted down the number of the bus, I once thought about handing it over to the traffic cops, but i dont think it would have served any purpose, so i did not. But from that day onward I swore to myself I will never trust these IDIOTS with my life again. I sternly wait for the buses to stop before i descend.

I think instead of endangering their life and limbs kolkata people should wake up and :

1. Refuse ascend/descend in the middle of the street.
2. To ascend/descend from a moving vehicle
but the third thing is their own responsibility.. they cant blame the drivers or anyone else but their misfortune for this..
3. to keep their limbs inside the vehicle.

2 comments:

  1. It's really sad to hear that three persons lost their arms in a single incident.
    I also think that drivers and conductor are certainly to be held resposible for such a great loss, but what can we say when passengers theirselves are careless of their own safety.

    trisha, You have done good job by sharing this sad news here, and it's surely for those who wish to learn from the experiences of their fellow human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really dont know why people make this blunder, sometimes they fall asleep though .. well, its really a mystery how people fall asleep in the pothole studded roads of calcutta, but i have myself warned people to be cautious after observing they were sleeping and their head was jutted out of window..
    i have seen a horrible accident (dont know if the man is alive or not) after that i always ask people to be careful when i am in the bus.

    ReplyDelete