Friday, January 8, 2010

Reading

Never read a book through merely because you have begun it.

            -- John Witherspoon

 

It took me years to learn this word of wisdom. When I was growing up I used to believe that if I start doing a thing I should finish it.

 

I have read so many horrible books and seen so many horrible movies just because I started them. Then I realized with maturity that the thinking should be done before starting. And if in the midway I realize that I am wasting my time on a thing then its perfectly alright to put it down after a through analysis of .the results and consequences.

 

I believe that its foolishness to continue in a road just because I started to walk in it, knowing all the time that it leads me nowhere or away from my destination.

 

Sometimes we realize our mistakes a little late, we should stop it then and there in place of furthering it.

 

4 comments:

  1. Great Thoughts!
    I fully agree here with my didi.

    didi, I did this even with my religious sect too wich I was following since my childhood but I left it at the age of twenty no fear of people, no mission of continuing something wich I had started following many many years ago. I just need arguments.
    Wish You All The Best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest brother,
    i think we are exactly same. I too am like you, if something is against my principle i simply remove it from my life, no matter for how long it has been there.

    this quote has both light and deep usage for me. being a book worm its sometimes impossible for me to put down a book, even after hating it through and through.. i want to finish it just because i started it :(

    the deeper shade is the shade i shared with you.

    glad that i found you, or you found me :)

    with lots of affection,
    didi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear didi, I just did a search on Blogcatalog to find the forum thread where I first found my didi. I remember I was attracted towards my didi because of this avator wich you still use on your blogger profile.

    Here is that memorable link: wich linked us, as brother and sister:
    http://www.blogcatalog.com/discuss/entry/short-stories

    May Allah bless us because of this relation. Ameen.
    Your brother,
    Ibn Hanif

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest brother,
    i guess it was God's wish that we will become brother and sister. I truly was looking for a brother like you. :)

    I love light. In any form, earthen lamps are one of my favourite man-made vessels of light.

    With lots of affection,
    didi

    ReplyDelete